Honeydew is soo refreshing, especially with this Arizona summer heat blazing on the daily, but in case you needed an excuse to
snack on some Honeydew I’ve provided a list of benefits below.
Why I love Honeydew, and you should too:
1. Low in Calories, and fat and high in fiber.
2. Great source of Vitamin C – American Institute for Cancer Research states that honeydew melons possess
the highest vitamin C content of all the melon varieties (except for cantaloupe)
3. The light green pigment in honeydew indicates the presence of Zeaxanthin. Zeaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect your vision and also reduces risk of acquiring age -related degeneration.
4. Honeydew is a great source of potassium. Potassium is a vital electrolyte used by your body to grow and maintain cells, initiate nerve response and contract muscles.
Not sure if your Honeydew is ripe?
Check out this ‘Know when’ guide from ehow
How to Prepare a Honeydew
Slice in 1/2 and gut the seeds from the center and take away the rind
You can slice, cube or get one of those nifty utensils that can make your melon into perfectly round balls
Store either in air-tight tupperware for fridge storing or freezer bags to enjoy for later.
How to Enjoy Honeydew
– Raw | cut it up and enjoy it. (see above picture) Nothing fancy, but a great snack.
– Salad | tastes great in a mixed fruit salad or the star fruit in any green salad
– Breakfast | Cut some cubes of honeydew up, and accompany it with some yogurt and/or honey and nuts! You’ve got a great meal!
How do you enjoy your honeydew?